Somersby  

Posted by Colin Fahy

After a day of mostly sleeping off jetlag, I went exploring. It is an hour and half walk downtown. Clearly I am out of shape, at least my legs are. But this is just a taste of the walking I have yet to come in my stay here.
Downtown is a street named Strøget. It is the longest shopping mall in Europe. Mostly it is a tourist attraction. It has McDonalds and Burger King and Ben and Jerrys. But it is not just for touristes. I was mistaken for a Dane twice by people my age with pamphlets trying to get my signature or get me to vote for something was my guess. Once they realized I wasnt Danish they just left me alone though. The most popular food here seems to be Shawarma. There was a shawarma place about every 4 stores on this street, and they are also all over town. So of course I had to have one. It was delicious, but nothing new. Except they have the most delicious thick hot chili sauce. And to think the last thing I did in Santa Cruz was get a falafel thinking that was the food I would miss.
Apparently this dude carved Zealand off from the rest of Sweden.
After another couple hours of aimless walking I was lost. I stumbled upon the changing of the guards.
I like that there are normal police protecting the guards. The police were really friendly.

When you have the highest taxes in the world and no army to waste money on, you can afford to spend tax payers money on purposeless guards, with their own police to guard the guards.
Walking home, my legs completely sore, still an hour from home, I decide I should stop at the 7-11 for snacks and a refreshing drink. (7-11 is everywhere here)
They had many chips. (Fun Fact: French fries are pomme frites, but potato chips are Fransk Kartofler, French Potatoes) But of course I had to decide upon Jøorgens favorit mix, which had all the best ones together, and smelled like poop. Straight up poop. But tasted delicious.
Somersby with cranberry looked like a delicious cranberry drink. After downing half the can in one gulp I realized it had an odd yet familiar taste. This delicious and refreshing apple cider is 4.7% alcohol. The cider here is amazing.

First grocery store purchase. The store is huge and confusing as hell. But I had to get some more chips, the weirdest alcohol I could find (small blue) and some staples to hold me over, bananas bread and jordbær marmalade.
Breakfast at the mall foodcourt. This has been the best thing I have eaten thus far. Vegetarian bagel sandwich with dill sauce. The assortment of vegetables they have is amazing, and definitely somewhat pickled. And to think this was right next to another burger king and kfc.
This giant windmill is right by my apartment. When I see it I feel like I am close to home, but in reality I am still over a half hour walk away.
I kept seeing people wearing these white hats. Then one day I saw them all gathering up near my apartment and they took off in these trucks with beer in hand and screaming and honking all over town. After asking my flatmate she told me they are highschoolers that just graduated. I dont know how long they wear those white hats, I dont see as many of them anymore.

This is a trash can in the park next to my apartnment.

This entry was posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 at 1:20 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment