The Voyage  

Posted by Colin Fahy

I hate flying. But the trip was not that bad. The plane to Atlanta had a touchscreen on the back of every seat with games and free tv. This was nice, since the battery in my noise-cancelling headphones was dead, and I realized I accidentally deleted half the songs on my ipod when trying to move them onto my laptop.(I would later buy AAA batteries for $6 at the airport and then figure out that the battery was just in upside down.) I asked the old lady next to me where she was headed and she told me Rome. I was excited for her, but realized a while later that there is a city close to Atlanta called Rome. She called Denmark a fairy land. Told me how the people there won't think twice to jump in a pool naked, but are very reserved when it comes to conversation and strangers.


At the Atlanta airport I took a subway to the opposite side of the airport in search of kroner. After waiting in line, I found out the guy immediately in front of me just purchased all the Danish Kroner they had left. The woman was not very helpful and only after my suggestion thought to call up one of the other currency exchange locations and ask if they had any. She also realized this was something she should have suggested to the guy in front of me who clearly wanted more than they had left. The other location also did not have any, but I was not convinced and decided to try one of the many other locations. The place I tried did have some, but only 300 Kr. (about $50) I took it and paid $64 for it, when she realized the other teller at this location had more on her side. I switched sides with the promise that I could get more without paying a second fee, but after calling her supervisor and a long wait she told me they cannot charge my credit card twice. My plane was about to leave so I decided to just stick with what I had. It was enough for a meal and public transportation.

Long sleepless flight. Free beer/wine. 3 terrible movies. And a little danish kid who slept the entire way and likes to kick and put his feet on my lap in his sleep.

The first thing I see upon landing is windmills. It was easy enough to get a train ticket, my apartment was very close to the airport. Just the second stop on the train and a 5 minute walk. But finding the place took forever. They don't really have street numbers in Denmark. The address I had was just the name of the street. After asking people who were no help, I realized it had to be the building that looked like people could live in it. Everything else looked like giant business buildings.
But it is protected by a moat.
Luckily, there is a bridge.


This is my room:




I have two flatmates, Camilla and William, both Danish. One just went on vacation for summer. The other does not seem to be around much. The fourth room is yet to be filled.

This entry was posted on Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 12:48 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment